Interesting Security FactsInteresting facts and figures about security
Interesting Security Facts
- About 30 percent of all burglaries are through an open or unlocked window or door
- The highest percentage of burglaries occur during the summer months.
- Homes without security systems are up to 300% more likely to be broken into.
- Renters are just as likely to be the victims of property crime as homeowners.
- Nearly 66 percent of all burglaries are residential (home) break-ins.
- 2,000,000 home burglaries are reported each year in the United States.
- In the U.S. a home burglary occurs every 13 seconds.
- Only 17% of the homes in U.S. have a security system.
- 2,500+ cars stolen per day… almost 2 cars a minute.
- Police usually only clear 13% of all reported burglaries due to lack of witnesses or physical evidence.
- July and August are the most frequent months for break-ins.
- February is the least frequent month for home break-ins.
- 38% of all assaults occur during a home invasion.
- 60% of all reported rapes occur during a home invasion.
- Homes on a corner lot are more likely to be burglarized.
- If your home has had a burglary, the odds of being burglarized again dramatically increase.
- Statistics show that 80% of all break-ins are through a door. Doors with low visibility from the street and neighbors are particularly vulnerable.